This month we will continue to discuss devotions. But instead of explaining what they are and how they are important I will be providing some resources that you can use to push your devotional life in the right direction. I will include the name of the resource, a brief synopsis, and any cost associated with it.
- Lutheran Hour Ministries: This resource is full of amazing things. LHM does a lot of great things. The two that I want for focus on is their daily devotions and video-based Bible studies. The daily devotions are great because they can be read or listened to. They can also be set to your email every day, so you don’t have to go to their website. The devotions are also very well written and are easy to understand. The video-based Bible studies are also very helpful. They are centered around topics that are pertinent to the Christian life and are centered in the Word. These resources are free to use.
- Portals of Prayer: Many of you probably already know this resource but it is still worth noting. Portals of prayer have been a staple in the LCMS for many years. They are very simple to use and take very little time. They are simple devotions that are well written and thought provoking. This resource is free through the Church.
- Prayer Journal: Prayer is often a part of our devotional life that we neglect. When you use a prayer journal it can help keep you accountable. So, you may be asking yourself what a prayer journal is. It is a very simple process. All you do is write down your prayers. It is that Simple! It Is a great way to keep yourself accountable. This can be done on a simple notebook that you buy at the store for a dollar, or you can buy one online for around 10 dollars.
- Serendipity Bible (Third Edition): This next resource is a study Bible that asks questions to make you think about the text more. It also comes with studies that can be used for small groups. I really like this resource because the questions are great. It breaks scripture up into digestible pieces for you to study and that is a big help. This can be found on amazon for 20 dollars.
- Lutheran Study Bible: Now hold on a second, I can already hear the eyerolls. I am not recommended this resource simply because it has Lutheran in the name and it is made by CPH. This commentary study Bible is a great tool to use if you want to understand scripture and get some background information on what was going on in the world when these things were happening. It also helps explain those hard-to-understand verses in a way that is easier to understand. This resource costs 55 dollars on CPH
Hopefully these resources help you get back on track in your devotional life. If you need or want more help, please reach out.
In Christ alone
Aaron Finkel, DCE Intern